14-18 King St
The red sandstone of 14-18 King Street stands out amongst the cream buildings adjacent. Erected in 1898 for the Stirling Co-operative Society Ltd, it was designed by Stirling architects McLuckie & Walker.
The building had significant water ingress due to the failing lead roof and slating together with issues with poor pointing of the masonry. The lead roof was replaced, the slates repaired and the chimneys and façade repointed using lime mortar. The timber sash and case windows were overhauled and painted a traditional dark green.
There are some interesting carved features on the facade associated with the Co-operative Movement including clasped hands indicating co-operation and a date stone with the name of the society.